Sunday, April 5, 2009

Zebras, Giraffes and Impala, oh my!




Top: A lovely zebra grazing on the plains
Middle: The signage of the Park was endearing, directions pointed to the "Hippo Dip" and "Lion Lounge" 5km this way or that
Middle: The lone Rhino!
Bottom: Beautiful umbrella Acacia tree thicket, the national tree of Kenya. They are so unique and majestic.

On Thursday morning I had a total of 4 hours off from the rigorous meeting and due diligence schedule. I used that time to go to Nairobi National Park, waking at 5:00am and witnessing a gorgeous Nairobi sunrise on the way. It was the best idea ever. Sammy, the wonderful, reliable driver awoke 4:00 to pick me up in time to visit the park before the larger game dispersed in the morning heat to find shade and in time to get back for a noon meeting.

I saw herds of Zebra, who apparently begin to die en masse after the monsoons begin because they cannot process the new, green grass. I saw a few dead zebras to prove this phenomenon, which was sad, but also provided opportunistic moments to perhaps find scavenging hyenas or, the rarest, African lion, simba in Swahili. I did not see a lion, alas, but I saw nearly everything else, including a herd of grazing giraffes and a lone female black rhino! Rare! They are notoriously stupid and unpredictable with very poor eyesight, but excellent hearing. When I found the giraffes, I got out of the car to get better shots, a big no-no, but they didn't scatter, they just stared at me. Sammy says they were saluting, but I think I just didn't seem agressive enough to warrant fleeing. I didn't exit Sammy's beater when we found the Rhino, bad idea all around as they can charge out of fear, run off, and then come back 'round to charge again from different angles. I have some amazing action shots I will upload as soon as I encounter a laptop with a chip portal.

'Til next time!
Hilaria

2 comments:

  1. Hilary,
    You are an amazing woman. Can't wait to see all the wonderful photos and soak in all the knowledge when you arrive here in a few months. I think you are destined for a career as a writer/host for a travel show. Brilliant woman you are.
    Love
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you are rested up: Do you have any more pictures?
    A friend of mine, Susan has a non- profit rescuing dogs in India and Africa, I think.
    Let me know what you are doing and eating.
    I love it!

    I have a close friend with the first streaming digital you can broadcast live using a broadcast camera like the one that I own. If you have something that is going to be important for the world to see reel time we are the ones to call.

    Love Lauren

    ReplyDelete